Flu Jabs | Contact the surgery now to book your appointment.
  • How Do I Order A Statement of Fitness for work?

Statutory Sick Pay

Most employees get Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) from their employers when they are unable to work as a result of illness. SSP can be paid for a maximum of 28 weeks. Spells of incapacity separated by 8 weeks or less count as one.

For the first seven days of incapacity a patient completes a self-certificate:

  • SC2 – used if they are in employment and the employer does not have their own self-certification forms. The employee gives the form to their employer.
  • SC1 – used if the individual is self-employed or unemployed. The employee gives the form to Jobcentre Plus.

The self-employed or the unemployed can claim Incapacity Benefit or Employment and Support Allowance straight away.


After 7 days, the patient must obtain a medical certificate confirming that their GP has advised them to refrain from work. (Please give 72 hours notice).

If the patient is still incapable of work after 28 weeks, they may make a claim for Incapacity Benefit (before October 2008) or Employment and Support Allowance.

If you are unable to return to work after the first 7 days you will need a DSS certificate (Med 3) signed by a doctor.

If employers insist on a sick note during the first week of illness this will be in the form of a private note for which there is a charge to them, following a written application by the employer with the patient’s consent (i.e. declaration and signature by them).

Still Need More Information?

For all information regarding the Statement of Fitness for Work, click this link “Fit Note“.