Following on from the changes we have made to improve our telephone access, we are now introducing a change for patients to access appointments.
From Monday 4th April 2022, we are asking all patients to follow the guidelines below:
- If you are acutely unwell and require a same day appointment or a home visit, you are asked to call the surgery between 08.30am – 10.00am. We are not a walk in service and you will be asked to call the surgery for an appointment if you have an acute problem.
- Your call will be triaged by our care navigators who will ask you a number of questions regarding the reason for your call. They are not being nosey. We need to ask to determine the most appropriate appointment for you. You may be offered an appointment in 2, 3 or 5 days’ time if deemed appropriate.
- Once triaged by our care navigators, they will then add you to the Acute Assessment Team list (GP’s and Advanced Nurse Practitioners), who will call you and triage your problem over the telephone.You will receive a call back between 08.30am-10.30am. You will be offered a same day appointment if the problem cannot be dealt with over the telephone.
- To be able to safely treat our patients, we need to manage the demand. If the appointments have been booked for the morning, we will ask you to call back between 13.00 – 15.00 and the above process will start again for acute problems.
- For routine appointments, patients will be able to pre-book an appointment up to six weeks in advance.
We would like to stress, our Care Navigators have access to clinicians and will never make any clinical decisions. All children under the age of 12 will be added to the Acute Assessment Team list to be triaged.
By having a specified Acute Assessment Team, we are able to free up other clinical staff for more appointments that can be booked in advance.
We take all our patient feedback seriously and we hope the new system will offer greater access to our patients. We are asking that if your call is not urgent, please call the surgery between the quieter times of 10.00 – 13.00 and 15.00 – 18.30.